The U.S. Travel Association said more consumers are ready to take a break from home this year with 2.3 percent more vacation travel expected than in 2009. The American Express Spending & Saving Tracker, released last month, found that about 51% of Americans plan to take a summer vacation this year, and spend an average $1,000 per person on summer travel. Do you know about 287 (and counting) fun things to do in Tama County?
The June Tourism meeting convened in the Cooper Beech on Main Street in Dysart and continued the low cost marketing quest to connect businesses who could market each other by increasing awareness for what people in the cities 10-20 miles down the road do.
- Tama County Traveler’s Pocket Guide: need to pick the 12 featured tourism attractions for each town’s introduction page before the summer is over to get a cross section of fresh photography. Priority set for 1) buyers of ads in 2009-2010, 2) attraction representing an iconic element of the rest of the industry, 3) willingness to help put together a creative photo shoot that includes people and animals. Online survey will be sent to stakeholders. Click here if you would like to also offer your input.
- Central Iowa Tourism Ad: approved a 1/2 page ad in the 2011 regional edition instead of the higher cost state publication pending grant support using the same creative from the cinema ad.
- Cinema ad: research, finance and creative progress on the ad campaign was discussed. Special funding will not be available to do special formating for cinemas that use 33mm film at this time.
- Local FAM Tour: seek funding to host an opportunity to introduce business leaders to other businesses in the County. Determine interest from online survey to stakeholders. Challenge to each Tourism meeting attendee to bring a new guest to every meeting.
- Other grants: review and brainstorming discussion of FY11 grant funding projects.
NEXT TAMA COUNTY TOURISM MEETING
Monday, July 12, 2010, 9am
John Ernest Vineyard & Winery
3291 N Avenue
(2 miles east of Tama on Highway 30)
BANK CLUB MARKETPLACE
Wed. Sep 29, 2010
MURDER MYSTERY DINNER
Sat. Oct. 30, 6-9pm
Pilgrim Heights Camp & Retreat Center
3005 E Ave.