Media outlets picked up the following stories relative to the economy of Tama County, Iowa. If you know of a story not documented here, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org or 641-484-3108.
- TAMA COUNTY VIENNA WIND FARM SOLD TO BUFFETT”S MIDAMERICAN UTILITY: Iowa’s largest utility company bought the 103.5 meggawatt wind farm from RPM Access Jan 5, 2012 in addition to two other wind development projects.
Posted 2012 in sources including: Bloomberg, Des Moines Register, Omaha News-Harold, REVE
- TAMA COUNTY FARMER WINS IOWA FARM BUREAU DISCUSSION MEET: Jamie Busch-Upah, manager of the John Earnest Vineyard and Winery outside Tama won the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation young farmer discussion meet at the annual meeting and will be representing the state in critical ag-related discussions on a national level in Jan 2012.
Posted 2011 in sources including: Iowa Farm Bureau
- STRAIGHT-LINE WIND STORM IMPACT JULY 11, 2011:
Winds exceeding 100 mph cut a path of destruction across Tama County, hitting the communities of Clutier, Dysart, and Garwin the hardest and doing damage to farms across the county. But ultimately not many of those impacted made use of government support.
Posted 2011 in sources including: Cedar Rapids Gazette, Cedar Valley Daily Times, Chicago Tribune, Des Moines Register, Eastern Iowa News Now, Iowa Farmer Today, Marshalltown Times Republican, Mason City Globe Gazette, Oskaloosa News, Radio Iowa, The Republic (Columbus, Indiana), Wallace’s Farmer, Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, KCCI, KCRG, KFGO (Fargo, ND), KTIV (Sioux City), KWWL, WHO, WOI, Cedar Valley Business
- TRAER LOOKS TO WIND POWER AS VIABLE ENERGY SOURCE: Traer Municipal Utilities is working with Clark Thompson of Story City to erect a wind turbine. It will generate 5 million kilowatts of energy annually, which is about 30% of the city’s overall electricity needs. First commercial wind turbine to be put up in Tama County. After six years, the city will take possession of the turbine.
Posted Sep 20, 2011. Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, Associated Press, USA Today, KWWL-TV, Burlington Hawk Eye
- MESKWAKI EDUCATION AT THE CAPITOL: Larry Lasley of the Meskwaki Settlement School Board, testifies at an oversight hearing held by the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs May 26, 2011 on Expanding the Success of Native Language and Culture-Based Education.
Posted June 18, 2011. Indian Country Today
- WORLD PORK EXPO 2011: Tama County Pork Producers grill for 4,000 people a day at the World Pork Expo in Des Moines.
Posted June 16, 2011. Agri News
- TAMA MEAT PACKING PLANT TO REOPEN: Iowa Premium Beef plans to open in Tama.
Posted Mar 31, 2011. Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, KWWL, Cedar Rapids Gazette, Iowa Farmer Today, Des Moines Register, Radio Iowa, Feedstuffs
- SMALL TOWNS MAKING A MOVIE: in 2011 both the towns of Clutier and Traer made a movie that celebrated some aspect of the town, performed by local area actors.
Posted Aug 2011 & Dec 2011: KWWL, Cedar Rapids Gazette
- IOWA RACING AND GAMING COMMISSION TO AWARD CASINO LICENSES 2010: Tama County Casino application covered with consideration for pro’s and con’s.
Posted 2010. Associated Press, Burlington Hawk Eye, Des Moines Register, KCCI, KCRG, Mason City Globe Gazette, Ottumwa Courier, Quad City Times, Radio Iowa, Sioux City Journal, Sioux Falls Argus Leader, WCCO-TV (Minneapolis), WHO-TV, WQAD
- NATIONAL EMPLOYMENT TRENDS: Tama County industry trends were covered as demand for skilled workers in trucking, manufacturing, healthcare increased in the midst of high national unemployment.
Posted 2010. Cedar Rapids Gazette, Eastern Iowa Business, KXEL, Marshalltown Times Republican, Newton Daily News, Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, WHO, WMT
- MESKWAKI NATION EXPLORES WIND FARM AS ALTERNATIVE ENERGY SOURCE: Meskwaki Wind Farm broke ground on meterological tower.
Posted 2010. BrighterEnergy.org, easterniowabusiness.com, Forbes.com, ifvnews.com, oil.fuelspace.com, PR News Wire, SourceMedia Group News, Vardaan, WKRG.com news (Pensacola, Mobile)
- IOWA GREAT PLACES 2010: Governor Culver signs Great Places memorandum of understanding with Tama County Great Places leadership team.
Posted 2010. IowaPolitics.com, KXIA FM radio, Oelwein Daily Register
- DOWNTOWN RENAISSANCE: Dysart Mainstreet artists, boutiques, and the H.A.T. team in the spotlight showcasing their uniqueness and allure.
Posted 2010. Gift Shop Magazine, KGAN-TV, KWWL-TV
- IOWA’S SIMPLE PLEASURES: Matchstick Marvels, Gladbrook, featured on Iowa’s Simple Pleasures with Dan Kaercher.
Posted 2010. Iowa Public Television
- IOWA WINE MAKING: Fox Ridge Winery, Traer, listed as a case study on how Iowa wine making is expanding.
Posted 2010. Omaha World Herald
- ALTERNATIVE FARMING: Kissing Emu Farms, Chelsea, and Hinegardner’s Orchard, Montour, were named and featured as alternative farmers in the Iowa economy.
Posted 2010. The Daily Iowan, Radio Iowa
- TRAER SALT & PEPPER SHAKER MUSEUM: Also featured several years ago in USA Today) is within over 16,000 of shakers pairs.
Posted in 2011 in sources including: www.korwelphotography.com/tag/traer/
- CENSUS REPORTS SIGNIFICANT GROWTH IN NATIVE AMERICAN POPULATION: A record high 7.5% of the population in Tama County is Native American.
Posted Nov 29, 2011 in sources including: Radio Iowa